Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Taj Tournament

I meant to do a post about the $120 No Limit tournament I played at the Taj on Saturday, so here it is. We started with 5000 chips with 20 minute levels. Not a great structure but I have seen worse in these cheap tournaments. I played solid for the first two hours really not getting many premium hands but keep chipping up by stealing. Didn’t show a hand down during this time, then this tough hand came up for me. At this point I had around 6500 chips and still hadn’t shown a single hand down. Had a great image at the table, everyone seamed scared to play a pot with me. I was in the Big blind with A-K off, think blinds were 200-400 with a 50 ante. Three limpers came in then the button limped and the small blind completed. So I raised it up to 1400 to go. Wanting to take it down right there or go heads up. Two people folded then a short stack went all in after three minutes of thinking it though. I knew he had a small pair and wanted to go heads up with me. Then the button goes all in over the top of both of us. What could he possible have to limp after three limpers and then go all in? It was 3500 chips to me, so if I lost I would be down to 3000, should I call. Keep thinking about what he had and I put him on a medium pair. First he limped wanting to see a cheap flop then he figures he can isolate the shorty and win the dead money out there. (So I thought, also was the possibility that he had a big Ace also and played the hand funny.) I was so hoping he had like A-Q suited or pocket tens. After a few minutes I made the call. The shorty had pocket twos, he made a good move probably putting me on two big cards. He figured go for the coin toss and the double up. The button had pocket Kings, what the? I don’t like his move at all. He got all his money in as a favorite but I would have raised myself being there was already dead money in the pot. Pocket Kings are not the nuts. I don’t like getting multiple callers with them. He took a big chance that me and the small blind wouldn’t raise and then we would see a flop five handed. Anyone could have an Ace or hit a good flop to crack his kings. I may have folded if he made a big raise from the button, the first time around. Anyway the Flop came with an Ace and I busted them both. Don’t want to be results orientated being I won it doesn’t prove he misplayed. Me personally would have raised big after the other limpers to win it there or go heads up. Anyone have opinions on how he played this hand? I will post about the rest of the tournament this week. That’s it for today. Good luck at the tables. Tony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home