Thursday, September 14, 2006

Hi/Lo Stud Tournaments.

I played in the $1000 Hi/Lo Stud tournament at this years WSOP. Hi/Lo stud has always been my favorite game. Years ago
the Tropicana in AC had a $50 Hi/Lo tournament on Sundays. Yes in those days they had tournaments other then No Limit!
I loved that tournament, won it a few times in the 3 years I played in it. A funny story about that tournament. My
father, who at the time was a Stud high only player and I were making a trip down to The Tropicana on a Sunday.(By the way my father only played $1-5 and $5-10 stud.) I told him about the tournament and he was interested in playing in it. I taught him the rules on the ride down there.(Takes us about 2 hrs and 15 mins. without traffic.) I gave him a few
pointers about trying to play 3 low cards that could make a straight or a flush. Tried to explain to him that you need
to play for a scope in that game. He didn't listen to me at all. He was playing starting hands like 8-9-10 off! Of
course we ended up at the final table together. My father knocked me out of the tournament and went on to win the $1200
first prize. The thing about his play is that he never folds on the river if he can beat the other players board. At
the final table he called someone down with an A-K high. The other player had no pair, just a busted low draw. The
regular Hi/Lo players were all complaining that they couldn't put him on a hand. The reason being that he had just
learned the game and didn't have a clue how to play it properly. Those were good times that I miss. I loved playing in
that tournament, oh well now I only get to play live hi/lo tournaments a few times a year. Last year I played at the
WSOP, Taj Mahal, and Foxwoods. I will post some interesting hands I played in the WSOP in the next few days. Good Luck
at the tables. Tony
By the Way FullTilt has a great $22 Hi/Lo Stud tournament every few days a t 6:30. Also have Horse and Razz tournaments that I play in a few times a week. Click my link at the top of this BLOG to check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home