Sunday, July 30, 2006

WSOP and Paul Darden

I played in the $1500 Razz event on Saturday the 22th. I had the good fortune/misfortune to have Paul Darden at my table. IMHO he is one of the best players in all forms of Stud. By chance I have been at tables with him in my last 4 stud tournaments. This one and 3 previous hi/lo tournaments(1 at Foxwoods and 2 at the Taj.) He is a very aggressive player to say the least! Early on I called his bluffs down twice on the river. These 2 hands would lead to my downfall against him later in the tournament. Being he had tried to bluff me twice he used it to his advantage to value bet me and the table whenever he had a made hand on the river. To his credit he changed gears later in the tournament and it confused the whole table. One hand I had against him really took the wind at of my sails! On fifth street I had a draw to a 7-6 low.(Had a made 10 with it showing.) Paul's high card on the board was a queen his other 2 cards were a 2 and a 4. On sixth I made my 7 and he caught another queen. Visions of making the money were flashing in my head. This pot was large being 5 people saw 3rd street for my raise. On the river I caught an inconsequential card and bet out. Paul raised me and I felt sick. Over 2/3s of my chips were in the pot. If I won this one I would be chip leader at the table. I thought about raising him but with 2 queens showing I knew he caught good. I made a crying call and waiting for the bad news. He caught a 5 on the river to complete is 6 low. I was in shock, this hand basically was the end of my tournament. I fought hard, short-stacked for the next 30 mins. but couldn't recover. I finished in the middle of the pack around 200th out of 409. (By the way I was told this was the biggest Razz field ever!) On a good note this was my wife's first live Razz tournament. I taught her how to play 3 weeks before this. She practiced on Fulltilt for a few days. She has a real talent for this game. She finished in the money 3 out of 5 tournaments on Fulltilt.(Finishing 2 of them in first!) She outlasted me by 2 hours. Ok that's it for now. Look for more WSOP posts in the next few days. Good luck at the tables. Tony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home