Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Deep Stack Tournament

Today I want to talk about the deep stack tournaments that are at Poker Stars. They just have an awesome structure. You can almost fold your way into the money, if you are so inclined to do. You start with 5000 chips with 30 minute levels. Think the antes kick in at level seven. These tournaments suite my tight aggressive style perfect. Thing is the donks don’t adjust for this structure at all. A lot of players play their same lagtard style as a regular 1500 chip, 10/12 minute level tournament. These tournaments require you to gamble much more often; otherwise you get blinded/anted away to nothing. I wrote yesterday about going broke with a 90BB stack with Aces. Really this shouldn’t happen; it’s just that the situation was correct. I was against an over aggressive lagtard and just got very unlucky. After reflecting on the hand I would make the same call there every time against that kind of Donkey. Last night I stuck to the full Limit HE tables and did well. I won 10BBs in my short 1 hour session. Didn’t have much time to play was busy. Also played two Pot Hi/Lo Omaha Sit-n-gos on Stars. Took down a 3rd on a bad beat and bubbled the second one. BTW did anyone watch the WSOP Main event coverage on ESPN last night? The theme seemed to be look how bad these people are playing in a 10K tournament. This is probably good for poker being it’s selling the idea that the average Joe can play better than the Donks in the main event. Overall I though the coverage was decent and I am looking forward to watching again next week. I can’t wait for the next season of High Stakes Poker. Wife and I were watching an old episode on Monday night it was as entertaining as the other 3 times we had seen it! Also we were quite pleased by the WPT championship that Gus Hanson took 2nd in. There was some good Poker played in it for sure! I hope the WPT coverage will continue to be as good or better once they move to Fox, we shall see. Thanks for reading and good luck at the tables. Tony.
P.S.- As always keep up the good work of clicking through on my Google Banner, above this post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home